Neurosurgery Partners. Brain + Spine Solutions
38 Irrawaddy Road #10-60/62
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- FRCS(Surgical Neurology),
- Dr Ernest Wang is a neurosurgeon with about 10 years experience in the field. At his Mount Elizabeth Novena clinic, he provides specialised care in the treatment of back, neck and brain conditions like degenerative disc problems, neck and back pain, brain tumours and stroke.
- Upon his graduation from the Faculty of Medicine at the National University of Singapore (MBBS, 1994), Dr Wang completed specialty training in General Surgery (FRCS Glasgow, 1999). Then, through the Health Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) award, he underwent a two-year fellowship with the world renowned Professor John Pickard at the Addenbrooke’s Hospital in the University of Cambridge, UK. A second HMDP scholarship in 2008 brought him to Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, India, the largest spinal unit in South India. There he trained with Dr S Rajasekaran and sub-specialised in spinal navigation.
- Returning to Singapore, Dr Wang joined the National Neuroscience Institute (Tan Tock Seng Hospital campus). During his tenure, he spearheaded the use of navigation in routine spinal cases as well as in complex spinal surgery. He also adopted spinal navigation techniques in minimally invasive spine surgery. With the patient’s interest in mind, Dr Wang was instrumental in initiating a successful alliance between spinal neurosurgeons and spinal orthopaedic surgeons there, making it the first fully combined spinal unit in Singapore with regular academic meetings as well as collaborative spinal clinics.
- Prior to his move to private practice, Dr Wang was appointed Head of the Division of Neurosurgery at Changi General Hospital. While there, he gathered valuable experience in managing acute trauma and stroke patients.
- Dr Wang also has a deep interest in research, where he has chosen to focus on multimodality monitoring techniques in characterising brain physiology and neurochemistry in acute brain injury. He still remains the Head of Clinical Trials at the National Neuroscience Institute, where he oversees and runs all industry and academic clinical trials including multi-centre studies on head injury, studies on stroke as well as studies on surgical techniques in the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy.
- He is also a member of the SingHealth Centralised Institutional Review Board that oversees medical ethics in clinical trials, and a Regional Study Advocate and Clinical Study Advisor to two international multi-centre clinical trials. An extensively published neurosurgeon, Dr Wang has multiple original journal articles and regularly contributes as a reviewer in other peer-reviewed journals.
- To fulfil his passion for teaching, Dr Wang teaches medical students at the NUS-Duke Graduate Medical School where he is an Adjunct Assistant Professor. He also maintains his clinical position at the National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore General Hospital, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Changi General Hospital and KK Women’s and Children Hospital where he teaches and trains residents in neurosurgery.
- He is currently the President of the Clinical Neuroscience Society, which is a professional society for neurologists, neurosurgeons and other clinically related neuroscience professionals in Singapore.
Health articles shared by Dr Wang Chee Meng, Ernest
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Wang Chee Meng, Ernest
No questions found