Treatment of a slipped disc includes:
- Alternating hot and cold packs to reduce sciatica
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants to treat severe pain
- Physiotherapy for patients with sciatica
- Rehabilitation programmes to minimise the risk of recurring injuries
- Stretching and exercise to reduce sciatica
Surgery is not considered early in the treatment as there is a risk of nerve damage during the procedure. Discectomy to remove a portion of the herniated disc will alleviate pressure on the nerve.