The symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome can vary greatly between affected individuals. Your symptoms can range from mild to disabling, and these include:
- Changes to the motion of stools (small hard pellets or loose stools)
- Changes to your bowel habits (diarrhoea or constipation)
- Feeling that you urgently need to open your bowels
- Feeling that your bowel doesn’t empty completely
- Finding mucus in the stools
- Having a lot of wind
- Having abdominal bloating
- Having pain or cramps in the abdomen (belly)
- You need to be aware, though, that these symptoms are similar to those of Colon Cancer, and therefore you need to get your condition evaluated by your doctor.
There are also less common symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome such as general tiredness, backache, headache, sweating, nausea, vomiting and having pain when going to the toilet.