Robotic radical prostatectomy is quickly becoming the most popular treatment for prostate cancer, especially when the cancer is confined to the prostate gland. To date, more than 800 robotic prostatectomies have been done in our hospitals.
There are several benefits to robotic radical prostatectomy compared to conventional, open surgery prostatectomy:
- Smaller and fewer cuts made.
- Faster continence (ability to control urination) and potency (ability to achieve an erection) recovery, with less blood loss and pain.
- Shorter time dependent on a catheter.
- Shorter hospital stay of 2-3 days as compared to 5-7 days with conventional surgery.
- Better conservation of the nerves needed to achieve and maintain an erection.
In addition to the advantages above, patients who have undergone the procedure reported not needing any blood transfusions, experienced no rectal injury and did not need any conversion to open surgery. The continence recovery rate was reported to be at 94%.