Robotic Radical Prostatectomy is fast becoming the most popular treatment for prostate cancer, especially when the cancer is confined to the prostate gland. To date, more than 800 Robotic Prostatectomies have been performed in our hospitals.
There are several benefits to robotic radical prostatectomy as opposed to conventional open surgery prostatectomy:
- Smaller and fewer incisions.
- Faster continence and potency recovery, with less blood loss and pain.
- Shorter time dependent on a catheter.
- Shorter hospital stay of 2-3 days as compared to 5-7 days with conventional surgery.
- Better conservation of the nerves needed to achieve and maintain an erection.
In addition to the advantages above, patients who have undergone the procedure reported not needing any blood transfusions, experienced no rectal injury and did not require any conversion to open surgery. The continence rate was reported to be 94%, which is comparable with major centres of excellence.