Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital's antenatal programme is designed to equip new mummies and daddies with the skills to give your newborn the best start in life.
Our small group classes are held over two Saturdays, and will cover breastfeeding tips and baby care according to World Health Organisation guidelines, baby care, and the birth environment in a hospital.
The classes provide hands-on skills on infant bathing, diaper change, burping, and breastfeeding positions using a baby mannequin. You will learn techniques on how to reduce engorgement and blocked ducts using a breast model, as well as how to conduct prenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care. Attendees will also get a chance to take part in a demonstration on how to help a choking baby.
Session 1: Embracing the birthing journey
Instructor: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital’s senior staff midwife
- When is it time to go to the hospital?
- Labouring in a hospital environment
- Vaginal birth, assisted birth and Caesarean section
What's after birth
- Managing wounds
- Understanding emotional changes
- Strengthening pelvic floor muscles
Understanding your baby
- Common characteristics of a newborn
Ensuring newborn safety
- Swaddling baby
- Burping baby
- Managing choking baby
Session 2: Practical steps to a positive breastfeeding experience
Instructor: Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital’s IBLC lactation consultants
10 Steps towards successful breastfeeding
- Skin to skin benefits
- Rooming-in and responding to baby cues
- Breastfeeding positions
- Having the correct latch
- Why and when baby will need supplements
Breastfeeding 6 months and beyond
- Back to work
- Milk expression and milk storage
Challenges to breastfeeding
- Increasing breast milk supply
- Prevention of sore nipples
- Relief of engorgement / oversupply
- Prevention of blocked milk ducts
- Coping with baby's cries
- When do you wake a sleeping baby
- Baby bath and diaper change
- Care of baby's eyes
- Care of umbilical cord
Speak to our Mount Elizabeth Novena Lactation Consultants at +65 6933 0940 to find out more about our antenatal programme.