- MBBS (Singapore)
- FRCS (Edin)
- MMed (Ortho Surg) (Singapore)
- FAMS (Ortho Surg)
- Dr Fong graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1996. He completed his advanced specialist training in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2003, winning the prestigious N Balachandran Award for Outstanding Orthopaedic Trainee (Singapore Orthopaedic Association, Nov 2003). He subsequently went on to complete a clinical/research fellowship in Spine Surgery in the renowned Calgary Spine Centre in Canada from 2004 to 2005 and has been practicing as a Consultant in Spine Surgery from 2005 till date.
- Dr Fong special interest lies in initiating and expanding Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery practice with the setup of Singapore's first 24-hour discharge service after elective lumbar disc surgery in Tan Tock Seng Hospital, winning a merit award during the Clinical Quality Improvement Celebration Poster Competition (Ministry of Health, Oct 2007). He is also a recipient of the Young Investigator Award 1999 and Spring Singapore Excellent Service Healthcare Silver 2008 and Gold 2009 Award. Besides research papers in international journals, presentations at various local and international scientific meetings, as well as on-going undergraduate medical teaching, Dr Fong is also a spine specialist at the Military Medicine Institute and an Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor in the Singapore Armed Forces. He is a member of North American Spine Society, AOSpine North America & Asia-Pacific, EuroSpine, American Association of Neurological Surgeon, Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, and Asia-Pacific Orthopaedic Association Spine Section.
- Dr Fong is an experienced Spine-specialised Orthopaedic Consultant in Singapore practising Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. His training was in Calgary Spine Centre, Canada and his former practice was in Tan Tock Seng Hospital where he set up his "keyhole" spine surgery practice and has successfully performed lumbar disc surgery as ambulatory day surgery in Singapore with patients going home within a day. This enterprise won the Ministry of Health Quality Improvement Poster Competition Merit Award on 11 Oct 2007. He now progressed to perform Less Invasive Spine Procedures without need of general anaesthesia -percutaneous discectomy for disc herniation, interspinous distraction for spinal stenosis and vertebroplasty for compression fractures. He had won both the Silver (2008) and Gold (2009) Excellent Service Awards and was recipient of the Singapore Orthopaedic Association Young Orthopaedic Surgeon (1999) and the Singapore Orthopaedic Association N Balachandran Awards (2003) and is also a member of the Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery (AMISS 2007) and the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (SMISS 2009).
- Dr Fong uses comprehensive quality management for all his patients, utilising both conservative non-surgical as well as less invasive surgical techniques to treat his or her back or neck pain. His subspecialty area of training is in spine surgery. Common conditions managed by and common procedures performed by Dr Fong include minimally invasive spine operations performed as day surgery cases and not requiring hospitalization, like: micro-discectomy and percutaneous discectomy for slipped disc, vertebroplasty for fractures of the spine and Facet joint and pars inter-articularis injections
- Young Investigator Award (1999)
- Spring Singapore Excellent Service Healthcare Silver (2008) and Gold (2009) Award
- Singapore Orthopaedic Association N Balachandran Awards (2003)
- Orthopaedic Association Young Orthopaedic Surgeon (1999)
Health articles shared by Dr Fong Shee Yan
No shared articles found