The Endocrine Clinic
3 Mount Elizabeth #15-04
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre
The Endocrine Clinic @ Novena
38 Irrawaddy Road #08-55/56/57
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - MBBS
- Master of Medicine - M.Med (Int Med)
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians - MRCP(UK)
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine - FAMS(Endocrinology)
- Dr Alvin Ng is Physician & Endocrinologist practicing at the Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, Singapore. He graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at the National University of Singapore (MBBS) in 1999. He attained his post-graduate qualifications in Internal Medicine (MRCP UK and MMed Internal Medicine, S'pore), Specialist Accreditation in Endocrinology and was later inducted as a fellow of the Academy of Medicine Singapore (FAMS, Endocrinology).
- He was awarded the Health Manpower Development Program (HMDP) fellowship by the Ministry of Health to train in General Endocrinology and Osteoporosis at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester (USA) in 2007 under the mentorship of Dr Sundeep Khosla, Dr Matthew Drake and Dr Bart Clarke. Upon his return to Singapore and during his tenure at the Singapore General Hospital, he was an one of the lead clinicians of the SGH Osteoporosis Clinic, managing a wide spectrum of cases including postmenopausal bone loss, male osteoporosis, cancer-induced bone loss, renal bone disease, glucocorticoid (steroid) induced osteoporosis, idiopathic hypercalciuria, metabolic bone diseases, pseudohypoparathyroidism, osteogenesis imperfecta, hypercalcemia, primary hyperparathyroidism, hypocalcemia, autoimmune hypoparathyrodism and vitamin D deficiency. Apart from osteoporosis, Dr Ng has a special interest in Obesity and Weight Management through lifestyle modifications and pharmacological interventions, and he works closely with bariatric surgeons on patients with morbid obesity. Dr Ng is well-versed in the management of Diabetes Mellitus ( Type1, Type2 and Gestational diabetes mellitus), Lipid/Cholesterol disorders, Thyroid disorders, including the use of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration (FNA) of thyroid nodules, Testosterone deficiency, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Investigation of Hirsutism and Gynaecomastia, Endocrine Causes of Secondary Hypertension and Pituitary and Adrenal disorders. Beyond his clinical expertise, he has won consistent accolades for his service and his patients speak him as a patient and caring doctor.
- Dr Ng has been invited to speak regularly at local and overseas meetings. As Adjunct Assistant Professor with the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School and clinical teacher at the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, he has helped mould future generations of doctors. Dr Ng continues to be active in research as a visiting consultant to SGH, focusing on the epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures, bisphosphonate-associated atypical subtrochanteric-diaphyseal femur fractures, relationship between obesity and osteoporosis, vitamin D and myeloma bone disease. More recently, his research has centred on the relationship between adipose depots (visceral versus subcutaneous fat) and cardiovascular risk. He is well published in peer-reviewed journals and he has been supported by competitive grants from the Singhealth Foundation, the Endocrine and Metabolic Society of Singapore and the National Medical Research Council. In 2009, he was appointed to the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) Task Force on Atypical Femoral Fractures. He is a current member of the Singhealth Centralised Institutional Review Board and an Ex-Co member of the Osteoporosis Society of Singapore.
Health articles shared by Dr Ng Choong Meng, Alvin
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Ng Choong Meng, Alvin View All
No questions found