Lang Eye Centre
38 Irrawaddy Road #08-46/47
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- MBBS (Singapore)
- Doctorate (Medicine)
- FRCS (Edinburgh)
- MRCOphth (London)
- MMed (Ophthalmology)
- FAMS (Ophthalmology)
- Dr Leonard Ang is an ophthalmologist practising at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore. He specialises in cataract surgery, cornea disease treatment, cornea transplantation, glaucoma treatment, retinal disease treatment, stem cell transplantation, and refractive surgery (LASIK, Epi-LASIK, Implantable Contact Lens).
- Dr Ang was previously an Associate Professor at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) and the Department of Ophthalmology at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS), and was the Principal Investigator and Group Leader of the ocular surface stem cell and tissue engineering programmes at SNEC and the Singapore Eye Research Institute. He was formerly the Medical Director at The Eye & Cornea Transplant Centre (TECTC) and the Premium Lasik Surgery Clinic (PLSC).
- He obtained his Ophthalmology specialist degrees from Singapore, Edinburgh and London. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCS), the Royal College of Ophthalmologists of London (FRCOpth) and the Academy of Medicine, Singapore (FAMS). He is one of the few doctors in Singapore to be conferred the Doctorate of Medicine degree.
- Having completed his specialist training in Singapore, he went on to complete advanced training fellowships in cornea and refractive surgery and trained with some of the top cornea and refractive surgeons and stem cell experts at prestigious eye centres around the world, including University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in USA, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine in Japan, and Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in USA.
- Dr Ang's achievements include pioneering new methods for cornea and stem cell transplantation, cornea and ocular surface stem cell expansion and bioengineering of eye tissues for ocular surface transplantation and reconstruction. His group pioneered the use of serum-free derived bioengineered conjunctival tissues for treating eye diseases.
- He specialises in treating complex cornea diseases and was specially trained at Harvard Medical School in artificial cornea transplantation (Boston keratoprosthesis). He introduced the Boston keratoprosthesis surgery to Singapore, and has helped to restore the vision of many local and international patients with complex cornea diseases. He also pioneered bioengineered oral (mouth) stem cell transplantation for severe cornea disease in Singapore.
- Dr Ang was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award in 2005, Singapore's highest honour in Science and Technology. He has won 29 international and local scientific awards for his outstanding work in ophthalmology, including the NUS Young Scientist Award, NUS Research Excellence Award and the Singapore Clinician Investigator Award. He has extensive experience in the fields of cornea and ocular surface disease treatment, cornea and stem cell transplantation, and treatment of complex cornea diseases. He has written more than 90 articles in international journals and scientific publications, 7 book chapters on cornea and refractive surgery and has given more than 130 conference presentations.
Health articles shared by Dr Ang Pek Kiang, Leonard
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Ang Pek Kiang, Leonard View All
No questions found