Eye Surgeons @ Novena
38 Irrawaddy Road #09-28
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of Singapore
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology), National University of Singapore
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore
- Dr Cordelia Chan is an eye specialist (ophthalmology) currently practising at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Singapore. Her areas of subspecialisation include cataract surgery with intraocular lens implantation, LASIK and other forms of laser vision correction, myopia, presbyopia, diseases of the cornea and cornea transplantation, allergic eye disease and pterygium surgery. She also manages patients with dry eye, contact lens problems, glaucoma, diabetic eye disease and other general eye conditions.
- Dr Cordelia Chan graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree in 1991. She obtained her Fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1996, and in the same year, obtained the Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) degree from NUS. She was accepted as a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore in 1999. She spent 21 years at the Singapore National Eye Centre before moving into private practice.
- During her fellowship year subspecialising in Cornea and External Eye Disease and Refractive Surgery in 1998 at the Singapore National Eye Centre, Dr Chan was conferred the SNEC Young Researcher Award, for her work on blood flow patterns in pterygium. In 2012, at the ASCRS Symposium in Chicago, USA, she was awarded the Best of Paper Session for her research comparing LASIK and ReLEx SMILE for myopia and myopic astigmatism.
- For two consecutive years in 2013 and 2014, Dr Chan was presented the SingHealth Outstanding Faculty Award for her continued efforts in the teaching of Ophthalmology Residents in Singapore, and was voted by young doctors to be one of their best teachers. More recently in April 2014, Dr Chan was presented the Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Distinguished Service Award, for her contributions to clinical service and the advancement of ophthalmic care in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Prior to joining private practice, Dr Chan was the Head of Refractive Surgery Service in the Singapore National Eye Centre, where she still holds the position of visiting senior consultant at the Corneal & External Eye Disease and Refractive Surgery Services.
- Dr Chan is the Deputy Director of the Singapore Eye Bank, and a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) and Asia-Pacific Academy of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (APACRS).
- Over the years, Dr Chan has mentored, proctored and trained both local and international ophthalmologists in cataract, refractive surgery and cornea transplantation. Many of these doctors are now consultant ophthalmologists in both public and private healthcare institutions in Singapore.
- Dr Chan continues to conduct teaching courses for ophthalmologists in local, regional and international conferences, and has been invited to speak on many occasions in international meetings in Europe, the USA and Asia. She has published and co-authored numerous articles in high quality peer-reviewed international journals, including Ophthalmology, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Cornea, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science and Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and written book chapters on Cornea & External Eye Disease.
- 2014, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Distinguished Service Award
- 2013 & 2014, Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2012, Best of Paper Session, ASCRS Symposium, Chicago, USA
- 1998, SNEC Young Researcher Award
Health articles shared by Dr Chan Mei Lan, Cordelia
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Chan Mei Lan, Cordelia
No questions found