Island Orthopaedic Consultants
3 Mount Elizabeth #05-08
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre
Island Orthopaedic Consultants (Gleneagles)
6 Napier Road #02-16
Gleneagles Medical Centre
38 Irrawaddy Road #06 -44/45 , 329563
- MB ChB (Leeds)
- MRCS (Edin)
- MMed (Ortho) (Singapore)
- FRCS (Ortho) (Edin)
- Dr Benedict Peng graduated with Honours from the University of Leeds, United Kingdom, in 1996. He subsequently obtained his Master of Medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery (Singapore) and FRCS (Edinburgh) in Orthopaedics. He went on to complete his Fellowship training in Spine Surgery in New York at the prestigious Hospital for Special Surgery and Hospital for Joint Diseases. Dr Peng gained his experience as a Consultant Spine Surgeon at Singapore General Hospital which has the highest volume of spine surgeries in Singapore. His surgical expertise is related to the spine and includes degenerative diseases, deformity, trauma, tumors,and infections.
- Dr Peng's philosophy is to always provide a comprehensive assessment of his patient's condition and to offer them the most appropriate and effective treatment available. Common procedures performed by Dr Peng include minimally invasive spine surgery, motion preservation surgery including dynamic stabilization and dynamic fusion technologies, artificial disc replacement and spinal deformity correction. Minimally invasive procedures that he performs as day surgery and therefore not requiring hospitalization are: microdiscectomy and percutaneous discectomy for slipped disc, interspinous device stabilization for spinal stenosis, spinal injections to relieve neck and back pain, vertebroplasty / kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
- Dr Peng has a special interest in minimally invasive spine surgery. With minimally invasive surgery, patients have shorter hospitalization and recover much faster with smaller scars. Dr Peng's expertise in this field is recognized internationally. He is frequently invited to speak on his experience and surgical techniques in minimally invasive spine surgery in numerous regional and international conferences. He is also involved as course faculty and instructor in many local and international spine surgery courses. In addition, he is often invited to teach new and advanced spine surgical techniques in hospitals overseas. He has published the results of minimally invasive spine surgery such as minimally invasive spine fusion and percutaneous endoscopic discectomy in prestigious spine journals.
- Dr Peng is at the forefront of spine surgery involving motion preservation technologies such as artificial disc replacement and dynamic spine stabilization. These new surgical techniques allow patients to preserve spinal motion after spine surgery as compared to traditional techniques. Dr Peng's research and experience with these new technologies have been presented in international meetings and published in the spine journals.
- Dr Peng is actively involved in research and is a member of the AOSpine (Asia-Pacific) Research Committee which carries out and co-ordinates research in the Asia-Pacific region. He also serves as an expert reviewer for many international journals.
- Dr Peng is a Clinical Teacher at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and Mentor for Orthopaedic Surgery Advanced Specialist Training Programme. He is a member of North American Spine Society, AO Spine and The International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery. He is also a recipient of the Service with A Heart Award from Singapore General Hospital in recognition of his caring attitude towards his patients.
Health articles shared by Dr Peng Chan Wearn, Benedict
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Peng Chan Wearn, Benedict
No questions found