Atlas Shoulder, Knee and Sports Surgery
3 Mount Elizabeth #06-09
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre
Atlas Orthopaedic Group
319 Joo Chiat Place #02-05
Parkway East Medical Centre
- MBBS (Singapore) 1997
- MRCS (RCS, Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 2001
- MMED (Orthopaedic Surgery)(NUS, Singapore) 2002
- Dr Michael Soon graduated from the National University of Singapore School of Medicine in 1997 and completed his orthopaedic training in Singapore. He was subsequently awarded a Ministry of Health scholarship to further his surgical skills in 2006. His clinical fellowship was at Mutualidad de Futbolista, Barcelona Spain, where he was also trained in his subspeciality. He was involved in the clinical and surgical care of soccer players, which included the top soccer players of FC Barcelona and Europe. Apart from being involved in surgeries, Dr Soon was also trained in the use of PRGF (platelet-rich in growth factors), which was pioneered in Spain and used for the treatment of sports injuries.
- Further to his fellowship, Dr Soon was also attached to Rush University Medical Centre, Chicago, Illinois where he was trained in cartilage preservation and restoration, and shoulder surgery. Apart from clinical work, Dr Soon was also heavily involved in teaching and training of doctors and nurses. He lectured at the Alice Lee Centre of Nurses for the Master of Nursing Critical Care. He is also an instructor for the ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support). He is an instructor at ISAKOS arthroscopic courses and has been a Faculty Instructor for the Arthrocare knee and shoulder courses since 2007.
- Dr Soon is keen on research and was awarded the Young Orthopaedic Investigator of the Year in 2004 for his work on allograft and stem cells. This work, together with his other research works in sports surgery, were published and presented both locally and overseas. Dr Soon is currently a co-investigator of a NMRC grant for the treatment of osteoarthritis with mesenchymal stem cells.
- Dr Soon performs mainly arthroscopic reconstructions of the knee and shoulder. His special interest is in joint preservation, which includes cartilage restoration/transplantation, meniscal transplantation as well as use of biologics like stem cells and growth factors. He is also interested in the management of patella mal-alignment and dislocations.
- Young Orthopaedic Investigator (2004)
- Ministry of Health scholarship (2006)
- Orthopaedic Teaching Excellence Award, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (2006/07 and 2007/08)
Health articles shared by Dr Soon Yee Hoong, Michael
No shared articles found
Questions answered by Dr Soon Yee Hoong, Michael View All
No questions found